In early 1912 the large, main room of the school was deemed to be poor use of space and it was very difficult to heat in winter, when temperatures were often not much above freezing. It was decided to divide the room into two smaller classrooms and to make other improvements. In July 1912 Messrs J Boxall and W Bryder each tendered for this improvement scheme. Mr Boxall tendered £387 -11s -0d and Mr Bryder £415 - 0s - 0d. ‘It was unanimously agreed to accept the lower tender’.
During 1912 the school had a roll of 111 pupils and the average attendance was around 70 percent. The main cause of non-attendance was illness or infection of various kinds, but in autumn it was noted that several children were absent because they were employed as beaters on estate pheasant shoots. In addition boys often went potato picking and harvesting when the Squire needed extra labour. Perhaps because of large families school numbers continued to rise and in 1916/17 they reached 144. By 1931, however, they had dropped to 100. This fall in numbers continued until by 1996 when there were only 22 pupils. At this stage the school became uneconomical to run and West Sussex Education Committee decided that the school must close. Closure came at the end of the summer term in 1966 and pupils were transferred to Petworth schools.