A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE MITFORDS AND THEIR TIME AT PITSHILL
IN THE PARISH OF TILLINGTON
Pitshill lies just north of the A272 close to the village of Tillington. The estate covers nearly 40 hectares of grass and woodland together with a beautifully restored grade II* listed Georgian house and the Manor of Dean (also listed grade II*).
The early history of Pitshill is obscure but it passed through various owners until in 1760 it passed to the cousin of the previous owner, Edward Madgwick who sold the house and six acres of land to William Mitford of Petworth. The Mitfords are descended from the Mitfords of Mitford Castle, in Northumberland village of Mitford.
A Robert Mitford (1662 -1707 - Sheriff of Northumberland in 1697 and of Yorkshire in 1702) had five sons of whom the youngest, another William (1699 -1777) moved to Sussex and started the ‘Pitshill Branch’. He was in the Treasury Service and became Receiver-General for Sussex, living first in Daintry House, Petworth and later (probably 1750) at New Grove. A drawing by Hieronymous Grimm (British Museum) shows the house much as it was when William moved in.