The Clark Collection
South-east aspect of Pitshill
South-east aspect of Pitshill
Eastern aspect of Pitshill
Eastern aspect of Pitshill
A272/Tudor Cottage and cottages long since  demolished
A272/Tudor Cottage and cottages long since demolished
A272 and Tudor Cottage
A272 and Tudor Cottage
Tillington Hill from A272 crossroads
Tillington Hill from A272 crossroads
Tillington Hill and Old Rectory
Tillington Hill and Old Rectory
The Causeway and Horseguards
The Causeway and Horseguards
All Hallows' Church from the south
All Hallows' Church from the south
View to the south from The Causeway
View to the south from The Causeway
Tillington School
Tillington School
Terraced cottages in Upperton
Terraced cottages in Upperton
Terraced cottages in Upperton
Terraced cottages in Upperton
View to the north from Upperton corner
View to the north from Upperton corner
View to the north in Upperton (colour)
View to the north in Upperton (colour)
Robert Tanner of Upperton
Robert Tanner of Upperton
Dennis Clark was born in the summer of 1934 in a newly built area of Tillington called Westside, but the family soon moved into Hilltop in the centre of the village.  Like many other village children he was educated at Tillington School until the age of 15, when he left to join a firm of builders at Milland, near Liphook.  Few families owned cars in the early post-war years and Dennis would cycle to work everyday leaving early in the morning to ensure that he arrived at 7.30am ready for the day ahead.  After a hard day’s work he would then have to cycle home, a distance of some 15 miles.  National Service interrupted his apprenticeship and although he never completed his training he became a very successful carpenter and joiner.

The bells of All Hallows’ Church, Tillington, rang out on Saturday 28th August 1954 for this was the day that 20 year-old Dennis married Wendy Hall.  The wedding reception was in the Women’s Institute Hut which stood in the grounds of Tudor Cottage, close to the A272.  The couple set up home in Upperton and went on to have three children.
For many years Dennis and Wendy collected old photographs and postcards, particularly those relevant to the parish.  Around 1965 they joined forces with their neighbour, Alyson Hartley, and intensified their search.  There was to be an area Women’s Institute competition for the best ‘Village History’ and more material was urgently needed.  Tillington Institute went on to gain fourth place with excellent comments from the judges.  This written work is shown in full under ‘WI History’ elsewhere on this website.

Dennis and Wendy have kindly allowed the archives to copy some of their photographs and these are shown below.
The Collection
                                                                Click an entry to enlarge